Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Women Wonder and Wander

While taking my morning stroll through Facebook land I came upon this little gem of a photo, so I humored the author and wondered the same.

I can almost identify with this statement. Often if you are a self-respecting woman who acts in character and dignity, creepy men are slightly more intimidated by you and don't bother you as much as they might those void of self-respect. However, I would not agree that being a "lady" can turn a man into a gentleman.

This idea is embraced all to often by Christian women. I have known many Christian women (even I have fallen victim to this in short spurts) who have dated a man who is obviously not an upstanding Christian leader (or not a believer at all) with the lingering promise to herself that "if he just knows how much I love Jesus, he will too."Other thoughts might be "if I don't stay with him, he won't survive," "if I can get him to hang out with my friends he will really change his ways." This list could go on and on, but you get the point.

Ladies, let me introduce you to a little passage in Ephesians, that is 5:22-33. (I just got married 11 days ago, so I have read this over a million times since then). Many people struggle with this passage and especially this word "submit." My friend webster defines this verb as "to yield oneself to the authority of another." Verse 22 says "Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord." (ESV) I encourage to dive into this passage yourself so that I can go on to the point of my blog. (Thanks)

Both from personal experience and a Biblical perspective on life I disagree with the words on this photo because men are to lead. Yes, single women should be self-respecting, following God, modest, trustworthy... all the things a Biblical woman should be. However, the the peek of my "womanhood"(so far) has been being able to submit myself to a man who is worthy of being submitted to in the same way that I submit to the Lord. Why would you submit to a man in the same way you submit to the Lord when he doesn't even know the Lord, much less the way the Lord designed marriage and relationships? Can he really understand the God is love and he is to give himself up as a sacrifice for you?

So, you want to be a woman? Ladies, please wait and pray and wait. I'm begging you to not get bored of single life and settle for the type of man who does not emulate God's qualities.

I understand, as a single woman you have no choice but to be independent, self-sufficient and proud of it. But when you are blessed with a man who oozes Godliness, allow him to lead you as Christ leads the church. Put down the notion that in order for things to go right, you have to be in charge. What a beautiful picture of God when we respond to a man who is pursuing us as we responded to God when he called us to himself. Don't buy in to a culture that portrays "lazy men" and "strong women" as the norm. Don't wander from the truth of God's word. 

No comments:

Post a Comment