Friday, June 22, 2012

For the Love of Scripture

Let me tell you, I know many students who do not quite understand how to tackle the seemingly daunting task of studying scripture, God's Holy Word.

I know, it's pretty weird. People are killing each other, Jesus talks about eating his flesh, they have lots of wives, two girls sleep with their dad... it goes on and on..

Lately, God has been calling me to dive into his beautiful word, and it is irreplaceable. I can't listen to enough preachers or read enough Jesus loving blogs to replace the Word itself. You might find yourself at a loss for how to begin. Here are a few suggestions...

1. Memorize scripture. I had to do this in AWANAS when I was a kid and I hated sitting in a room for 30 minute being forced to memorize words that I didn't understand and verses I did not identify with. However, in my adult life I have found that when a scripture speaks to me in my studying, I need to hide it in my heart. A very practical way to do this is to put it on note cards just like studying for a test. I put verses in a spiral book of note card so they are all in the same place. (I made it look cute too, don't worry). I put the scripture on the front side of the card and the reference on the back so that when I really know it I can go back, look at the reference and recite the scripture. (Check out the picture.




2. Invest your hard-earned money in a trustworthy study Bible with good notes. Lets face it, on my own I wouldn't have known that "the Dispersion was a common Jewish expression to refer to all the Jewish people scattered throughout the Roman Empire, and even beyond the bounds of the empire, but not living in Palestine itself." (ESV Study Bible, John 7:35 study notes) There is cultural and regional diction that we don't get. So, stop reading words that you can't understand and connect with and get some help!

3. Use a commentary. If you really want notes on the scripture you are studying, (notice, I say studying and not merely reading) acquire a commentary or 30. A commentary is simply a book of notes from scholars on a particular scripture. These people have invested their lives into studying the background, history, culture of passages and are striving to interpret the meaning of the text in our lives as Christians. I encourage you to think critically about what they say and with the leading of the Holy Spirit, decide if the text, the commentary and the Spirit agree. (This will also be a monetary investment, but you may be able to check them our from a library, borrow them from your campus minister or church, go in with a friend and share and study together, or put them on your Christmas list. They run about $30 each, but many of the smaller books of the Bible will be contained 3 per commentary).

I hope the Lord uses this post to divinely inspire you to dive into His Word. Please don't think I'm a Bible scholar by any stretch of the imagination, but I am working to become a student of the scripture. Please join me :)



No comments:

Post a Comment