Monday, July 9, 2012

Wisdom for Each Day

Today I have the privilege of being married for one month. He is a good man. I am more convinced of this the more I know him.

So far, marriage has been an interesting ride for us as we have hardly been home and I've been sick half the time. I guess you could say we are starting real life with a dose of real life. Do you remember when you were 10 and you thought to the future about high school and how grown up and smart you would be by then? Then when you were in high school you thought about how much you would know when you got to college and how mature you would be? Then, do you remember college when everyone is dreaming about big careers, perfect marriages and great family life?

I am in that just married stage and I know that we are just a month in and I am a self-admitting rookie. I have learned a few things though:

1. Marriage is harder than it looks. This adjusting period is difficult. Laying down your desires and putting someone else first seems poetic and even romantic, but in the ticking clock of real life, it's just plain hard.

2. I am sooooo immature. All those dreams I had when I was younger about how wise I would be are just silly as I look back upon them. I'm now begging the Lord for wisdom in every moment. (Because James 1:5 says to ask for wisdom and the Lord will give it.) Boy do I need it.

3. I'm not saying that I condone this in any form or fashion, but I see why people divorce so quickly in our society. How could a society that teaches us to look out for number one produce strong marriages? I am convinced that a marriage could never live up to its full potential without wisdom and grace that comes only from the Lord.

Now, don't go off thinking this post is all about me. It's about us, I promise. What is that thing you think you have figured out? What is that thing you are failing miserably at? Where is the Lord in your situation? Have you asked him or wisdom today?

Goodness, people, we need Him. On our own, we are just sinful and naive children dreaming about a future that only He writes.

No comments:

Post a Comment