Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Thoughts on Marrying Young

I came across an article today asserting that because young people have marriage on a pedestal, instead of marrying the person they are with, they forgo marriage because they don't think it will be idea.

Here it is: http://www.theatlantic.com/sexes/archive/2013/03/the-case-for-getting-married-young/274293/

I found this article to be very interesting and with great insight. I have been in a culture of marriage the past few years because I'm 24 and I'm in the south. In general, people in the south get married younger than those who live in norther regions, but I know that what the article discuesses is a phenomenon I have experienced.

Now, I don't think that everyone should get married young. There is a right time and place for every individual to enter into the covenant of marriage. However, I don't hold to the argument that a person should wait until they "have it together" before they get married.

When Lucas and I got married we chose to do so for many reasons, but one reason was that we wanted to build a life together. We didn't want to go out, make two separate lives and then come back together and get married. (So, maybe I am biased when it comes to this article.)

So, check out this article. There are some points I don't agree on because my faith comes into play, but I like the general idea. So, join in the conversation!

Comment on this blog

Tweet me at @hannalhickman

or email me at hannalhickman@gmail.com

I want to know your thoughts!

Do you think people should wait until they "have it together" to get married. 

What do you think is the appropriate age to get married?

No comments:

Post a Comment