Wednesday, March 27, 2013

It really is time to change.

It really is time for some changes to be made, but I'm not talking about the social changes that are probably coming to your mind. I'm talking about a change in our spirit.

I can't begin to tell you the amount of times I have heard someone say or do something off-putting or inappropriate, have someone call them out on it, then the original person say "I'm always like that," or "That's just the way I am."

Now, trust me, I'm as ornery as the next human. I hate changing who I am in any form or
fashion because as far as I'm concerned, I'm awesome.

But when I look at the whole of scripture I see a God who is constantly calling individuals and peoples to change.  All the time in scripture God told people to do exactly the opposite of what they wanted. I'm not asserting that God always makes us do exactly what we don't want to do because that is not true at all. However, at times, he truly refines us by asking us to step out in faith and change for his name's sake.

As a personal example. I love being sarcastic. It's so fun because I can truly say whatever I want and no one really knows whether I am being serious or not, so people just laugh it off. Not to mention, I'm really good at it. But Ephesians 4:29 says "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen." So, for me to continue on never being sincere with others, would be against the work the Holy Spirit wants to do in me, so I must stop being so "hilarious" and change the way I interact with others.

The truth is that we were all born with predispositions to act certain ways. Everyone has their thing. You may love making inappropriate jokes, or you may have decided on a career a long time ago that you know isn't what God wants for your life, or you may love to eat more food than anyone and show everyone how good you are at eating, or you may never say a rude thing to a person, but always think them in the secret corners of your mind. 1 Peter 1:1-3 says "Therefore, rid yourselves of malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind. Like newborn babes, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, now that you have tasted that the Lord is good." (NIV)

To go on with life and say of our shortcomings "this is just the way I am" is a total cop out. Where is the growth in that? When we give our lives to Christ, we are surrendering. We are called to change. We are called to run from sin no matter how subtle. I'll be the first to tell you how much I hate changing. It simply exhausts me to be in a season of change. I am as I type this blog, but I'm holding on to the knowledge that God is really the one writing this story.

I'm sure you're awesome like me, but let's get ourselves together and be sanctified by His Word.


We have to change!



And here is a cute picture from our spring break trip to PCB last week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment