Tuesday, September 25, 2012

I'm Staging a Protest

REALLY. 

I am staging a protest. 

And it's not my first time. I am a professional by now.

When I was in high school, ninth grade to be exact, I began protesting the bus for the rest of my high school career. I would do whatever it took to not ride the bus home from school. I was even known to stay on campus until 5 when my mom got off work and she could come pick me up. A couple times, I even walked home.

One time I didn't talk to my brother for 3 months, that one was tiring, but I did it!

Today, I am protesting make-up because I don't want to wear it and I don't have to. (A few days ago my husband told me that he thinks all women in America should stop wearing make-up because it would save them time and money. We decided we couldn't get it to work because of the hierarchy of women in the world who say that if we don't cake the stuff on, we are not feminine. Dumb.)

This is me rocking that natural look! 


This is an important protest, but I have made the decision to protest something even more important:
ANGER.

When studying James this week I have been punched in the throat by James 1:19-20 which says: "Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God."

Usually, my beloved husband is the object of my anger. I promise, I didn't know what anger was until I met him. (Note that I also didn't understand most emotions). But when you love someone so dearly your emotions can just go haywire when it comes to them (No matter who they are). (Don't judge, if you don't know what I mean, you will). 

Whatever the trigger of my anger, it happens quickly and brings me to illogical conclusions faster than a man can jump out of the line of fire at a garter toss (I've been to a lot of weddings lately, okay?).

When I allow myself to become angry, I allow myself to be fooled. I allow myself to think many things that aren't true. I allow myself to feel unloved. I allow myself to forget the hard work I had put into the relationship in question AND I just say things: wrong things, untrue things, and it hurts my soul.

It also hurts your soul. Anger can lead to bitterness and resentment that is difficult to overcome. It can lead to ruined relationships all over a little emotion, when forgiveness is what would be best for everyone involved.

So, join me in this protest.

Today, tomorrow and all the days after that, let's be slow to anger. We have to make the decision to move past anger and immediately forgive. You will find your self free and your mind clear. Who is your anger hurting? Someone else? Or yourself?

Ask the Holy Spirit to keep you from anger and lead you to forgiveness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment