Thursday, September 6, 2012

Becoming a Lady

Tomorrow at our Back to School Retreat I am leading a break out session that the men in my workplace named "Becoming a Lady." I'm really not convinced that I am the resident expert on this topic, but I know that I'm the closest thing we have to a lady here (besides our lovely administrative assistant who does not like to talk in front of people). So, I'm the closest loud thing we have to a lady.
But it's a conflicting title for me because when I hear the word lady this is what comes to mind:


And Google agrees because when I searched "lady" on images all I found was pictures of this beauty.

Anyway, I'm sitting in my office racking my brain about what I should share with these girls. There are so many options going through my head: dating, modesty, morality, boundaries, self-esteem, future planning, finding Mr. Right, waiting on the Lord..

I'm trying to think: "When I was a sophomore in college, what would I have needed to hear."

And the Lord sent the idea to hit me right between the eyes!

Young women deal with all sorts of issues that I could talk very specifically about and offer great advice, but at the end of the day, if they don't hear me say "seek the Lord." I am doing a great disservice.

I've noticed a trend with my blogs, the ones about hot topic issues for young women like modesty and dating get twice as many reads as those that may be viewed at more "spiritual" in nature.

I understand. I like to read interesting blogs about hot topics too, but I think this tells us something about our nature.

We are missing the main thing.

We want to talk about all these issues and specifics about issues and how to fix our problems, but we don't want to seek the Lord first. Frankly, we just don't. I don't. You don't. We don't.

If we were seeking the Lord and what glorifies him, would I need to write a blog about how to dress in a way that glorifies him and draw attention to things that don't? I like to think "no" is the answer to that question. As the Lord has shaped me over the past several years he has brought me to a point where I have a keen sense of what glorifies Him and what doesn't.

Following God is truly not about following a list of rules or reading Godly blogs or books that tell us how to live. It is about seeking our Father.

I like to explain it this way: When we are toddlers, we need very specific rules like: don't touch the hot stove, don't hit, share your toys, etc. However, as we get older and as we mature we need less specific rules and guidelines. You can tell a 13 year old to be good and they have a pretty good grasp of what that means.

As believers, we can be the same way. As new believers we need to get a grasp on specifically what is a sin like telling a lie or more specific questions like "is smoking a sin?" But as we mature in knowing the Lord we no longer need to keep a list of rules to follow because the Spirit allows us to distinguish between sin and holiness.

Life on earth for a believer is simply that, a battle between sin and holiness.

In Romans Paul gives us indicator of a "true" Christian. One of these indicators is "Abhor (hate) what is evil; hold fast to what is good." (Your should really just go read Romans 12:9-21 to get a better grasp).

Have you matured to the point where you can distinguish good from evil and hate the evil?

This is a mark of a "Lady."

No comments:

Post a Comment