Friday, August 24, 2012

To All the Single Ladies

Girls, we've talked a few times about this no settling business, but I really need you to know how important this is. It's not just a worldly issue of "you could do better." It's a spiritual issue. Settling for less in a man than what God expects a man to be is simply unbiblical.

God gives us his Word and Spirit so that we can know Him more, so doing anything contrary to either of these is sin. Yep, sin. It sounds a lot more serious now, eh?

Let me tell it to you this way: when you do find your man and choose to marry him, you will have a beautiful wedding, wonderful showers, a great honeymoon, and then you will come home to real life. Don't get me wrong, real life is a beautiful thing, and living with and loving a person through all its ups and downs is beyond rewarding and beyond worth it. However, if you ever find yourself with a man who has undesirable characteristics before you are married, I promise, those little annoyances will EXPLODE after. I used to hear people say this truth when I was single and I thought I understood, but I did not. Beyond that, any issue you have that might be annoying to another person will also explode after marriage.

Sometimes you will feel like this.

Beyond that, problems that you didn't even know that you had will rear their ugly head and you will find out just how sinful you can be.

Marriage really is beautiful because it refines a person in a very comparable way to how a relationship with God refines his church (I see what ya did there, God).

What's the reason for all these little issues exploding? (You ask).

Let me tell you. It's is the result of sin. (As is every evil). No matter how much we try to make ourselves be a certain way, we each have a propensity toward some sin. Each relational issue you have is the result of sin. For example, my honest man loves to watch movies. I am cool with movies, but I'm not a fanatic, I can't remember them after I've watched them, and if I'm not in the perfect mood to watch one, I just can't pay attention. Sometimes Lucas will want to watch a movie, and I really don't but I can't expect him to want to do everything I do, so I will watch the movie with him. However, often times I'll make fun of the movie, or just get on my phone and not even try to enjoy it with him. This makes him feel like I'm not trying to enjoy time with him and I'm just still doing whatever I want to do, all the while saying that I want to watch the movie when I really don't, and he knows it. I know, it's complicated, but don't you see, that the problem is my sin. I'm selfish and I'm liar. Sin.

What is the solution to this settling/sinning problem?

I tell you, we have got to pursue God's heart even when we don't feel it or even when we don't feel anything at all. He's got a plan, and his perfect time will find us where he intends. So, please, don't settle for less that who God calls a man to be, and ask God to cleanse you and cleanse you and cleanse you.

God, rid us of sin.

Here is a fun picture from a photo booth.

No comments:

Post a Comment