Thursday, August 23, 2012

Run Run Run

At the beginning of a new school year I have the opportunity to meet many new students, set new goals, begin new routines, and, along that way, pick up a new attitude. When things are new, I often get stressed like a crazy person running around "trying to get things done."

Why do I do this?
1. I want to be and appear to be responsible and reliable.
2. I dislike chaos, and if I do this and that, the world will be right and everyone will be happy.
3. If I get things done, it will save me from doing it later.
4. I hate having a messy house. It's embarrassing.

Dumb, I know. However, this is one of the biggest battles I face and a self-proclaimed busy person. All week I have been running and doing. I haven't sat down one time to take it all in or just rest my weary self. I'm so exhausted that I fell asleep during church last night and when I was trying to help lead worship, my tired brain couldn't even pick out the correct note to sing. It took all I had just to be standing.

The truth is I often spend a lot of time doing things for God and I forget to take time to know Him.

What a shame. He is there knowing me, but I'm not knowing Him.

Let me emphasize, the God of the universe wants to know us, and he wants us to know him.

God really doesn't cherish these things I do, not matter if I get a bull horn and scream at the top of my lungs all over this college campus that God loves people, or if I run and run and run and run doing things for him, if I'm not knowing his heart, my heart misses His. When I know him, I will do the right things as a result.

I'd love to say more about this, but I'm too busy.

Just kidding.

But that is something I would do. Would you? Do you know Him? Has he spoken a personal word to you this week? If not, why hasn't he? Are you listening? Am I?

No comments:

Post a Comment