Wednesday, August 1, 2012

ANNNGGGGEEEERRRR

You know those days or moments when you are in an extreme mood, or something extreme makes you act a in an extreme way. For instance, let's say that you witness a horrific event like the abuse of a child. Nothing fires me up more than this or seeing a parent yell horrible things at their child in public. This makes me angry in a Jesus type way because I hate that children are mistreated. So, let's say this happened to me, and I see you and I am trying to conceal my anger, but you just know that I am angry in that moment. Now, let's say that you and I are meeting for the first time. You might think "wow, she is an angry person."

On the other end of the spectrum, imagine that I haven't slept much. I don't know about you, but when I don't sleep I get grouchy, but after that comes the most goofy stage of exhaustion. I say the craziest things, laugh a lot and just don't make sense. Imagine meeting me for the first time when I am in this mood. You would think "Wow, she's never serious, so goofy."

However, if you spent an entire week with me when I am sleeping and eating at a normal rate, you will see that I am a pretty regular person. I have moments where I am angry, there are moments when I laugh, and there are times when it is appropriate to be serious, so I am.  You would most likely find that I am generally normal and stable and maybe your first impression of me being goofy or angry are incorrect. In fact, I might be offended if you take just one component of my personality and run and tell the whole world that I am __________ I am just so ___________ all the time I am ____________. You wouldn't like it if someone did that to you either, would ya?

In light of our current world's controversies and our confusion about "religion." I would just like to point out that as you could misrepresent another person to the world, you can also misrepresent God to the world, and to yourself.  The Bible lists many characteristics of God. My favorite list comes from Jonah 4 where God is called gracious, merciful, slow to anger, abounding in steadfast love, and relenting from disaster. That is a lovely list, but here are some characteristics that some might not find to be as lovely: Jealous God whose anger will burn against you (Deut. 6:15), jealous and avenging God (Nahum 1:2), one time God was angry with his people (Ps. 106:40), angry (Jeremiah 10:10)...
(For the context of these verses, please read the entire scripture that would provide that.)

I think you understand. There are many references to God's anger and jealousy, but often we leave out that he is angry and jealous when we do things that are harmful to ourselves and to His kingdom. Sin makes him angry and jealous. In the same way we should hate our own sin. This hate should lead us to extreme measures to avoid sin because we yearn for the holiness that comes only from the goodness of God. 

My dear ole boss Chad Logan once said "Over emphasizing one attribute of God over another attribute that is equally true may lead to a misconception about God." 

We must take the entirety of scripture and know and love it. If you just love the anger of God, you are missing Him. If you just love the love of God, you are missing him. 

Sin is the issue at hand. Let's do everything we can to "... put away all filthiness and rampant wickedness and receive with meekness the implanted word which is able to save our (your) souls."
James 1:21
 
Woo!

No comments:

Post a Comment